Monday, February 13, 2012

Brocolli

I didn't feel like getting out the steamer yesterday, so I made broccoli in a pot.  I heated a cast iron pot on the stove and boiled some water in the kettle.  I poured the boiled water into the hot pot and added salt. I nearly burned myself because the boiled water started bubbling as soon as it hit the pot.  I added the broccoli and let it cook for 5 minutes only. It was delicious. I ate it with brown rice and cauliflower, a mixture of fresh beans  and potato curry that I had made the day before.

I also made mutton mince curry and a whole pile of small rotis yesterday and was told that it was very tasty. Here is the roti recipe for what it’s worth. I feel that a person has to be taught how to make it because there are some complicated steps.

Roti
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons oil
Boiling water
Place 2 cups of flour in a dish. Add 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil.  Add boiling water and mix until it reaches a doughy consistency.  Then use your hands and need the dough while it is still hot. Break of a handful of dough and pat it into smooth round balls.  Dip it into flour and flatten using your fingers.  Place the pieces (chakwa) on a floured surface. Use up all the dough while it’s still hot.  Roll out the chakwa with a rolling pin  and toast in a non stick pan or iron griddle (thawa). You can use a little oil or ghee during the toasting process.

No comments:

Post a Comment