Saturday, March 31, 2012

Fasting Dhal

 As I mentioned in my last post, it is a fasting week. I cooked a delicious, salty dhal that was intended to- and did  bust meat cravings. It is rich with butter and salty and no-one can complain that they are craving meat after eating this.


1 cup yellow lentils

1 teaspoon turmeric powder

1 tomato

1 large eggplant

1 small onion

1 teaspoon hing

½ teaspoon mustard seeds

½ teaspoon jeera

½ teaspoon garlic

1 teaspoon oil

1 tablespoon butter/ghee



Place washed lentils in a large pot of water and add turmeric powder. Allow to boil until lentils are softened and add diced tomato and eggplants. Add  a little more salt than you would usually use. I used a large handful. I always eyeball salt.  It comes to about a tablespoon. Cook  until soft. Thereafter, braise the dhal by heating oil in a pan, add the jeera and mustard seeds and cook for one minute and then add the onions and butter. Personally, I dont prefer the taste of ghee, but the butter gives it a rich texture and taste.  When the onions are brown add the garlic and cook for a minute and then combine this mixture into the lentils.

I served the dhal with curry and rice and salad. I ate it in a cup with a little curry added.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment