Monday, August 19, 2013

Bread and Betroot Chips

Fresh Bread

Last night I decided that I wanted my home to smell of freshly baked bread. I made brown whole wheat bread and  not only did my house smell great,  but I  also have some healthy bread in my cupboard.



500g brown bread flower
about 300 ml warm water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons barley/poppy sees/sesame seeds

Mix the dry ingredients together and then add water until the dough has a craggy consistency.  Add the oil and knead the dough until smooth.  Cover the dough and leave to rise for an hour in a draught free area.   Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Once the dough has expanded to about twice its size, shape the dough, and place in a loaf tin.  Firmly place the seeds of your choice on the bread and allow to rest for a further 25 minutes in a warm place.
Bake for 30- 40 minutes.

Beetroot Chips

During the week, I had an awesome  version of burger and chips using a soya patty and betroot chips.

3 medium beetroots
2 teaspoons olive oil
salt

Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees. Slice the betroot as thin as possible and coat in olive oil. Add salt to tase.  Place on a baking tray and bake for about 10 minutes and turn over to bake  for another 10 minutes.  Be warned that they burn easily so keep a close eye on the chips. The betroot chips tasted wonderful but I didn't slice it as thin as I would have like to achieve a very crispy texture.  I am now convinced that I need a mandoline slicer.  Any  combination of winter vegetables can be used. I will try butternut and carrots next.

No comments:

Post a Comment