Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Cabbage, low iron, LOTR and bonus: poem

Recent events in my life have served as a sharp reminder of why I started this blog.

I got really sick, super - can’t stand up, my life is ending sick.  At first, I thought it was a serious case of the sads.
 

 due to an emotional and unexpected break up and other stuff.  



After some time I decided to see a doctor who prescribed happy pills.
 
I reluctantly tried them but they were no help at all and I got to a point where it was an undertaking just to get out of bed and shower. 

 

 
So I went to a second doctor who in one go  - did a blood test and saved my life.  Turned out my redblood cells count was really low. I got sick because I wasn't paying attention to my food and that, for a person who doesn't eat meat, is apparently life threatening! After getting injections and taking the iron tablets I immediately felt better.
In fact I feel so much stronger that the awful feeling of depression and  fatigue seems like a distant memory. It was only two months ago.   I feel so fine that somebody asked me if I am on Prozac.

I guess this means that I will be updating more often now that I have been (rudely) reminded about the importance of a balanced diet. Right now I take an iron supplement every three days and I add a teaspoon of boiled methi seeds, which is supposed to be very high in iron,  to all my meals. 


Cabbage and Potato
1 small cabbage, sliced
1 potato, quartered
1 small onion, diced
1 teaspoon oil
2 dried chillies
half a teaspoon of methi seeds
1 small tomato, diced
1 teaspoon of mustard seeds


Salt to taste

Fry the onions, mustard seeds, methi seeds, dried chillies in oil until the onions are quite brown. Add the cabbage and the potatoes, allow to cook for 5 minutes then add the tomato. Allow to cook for 20 minutes you may add some water if you need to. Cook until potaotes are softened and all the water has dried out .

During my illness, all I would do is watch movies and I have become a huge fan of anything Lord of the Rings. It all started after I watched the Hobbit and fell in love with Gollum who reminds me that we all have a piece of him inside us. I then watched the trilogy attentively, loved it and I even ended up reading the books. More on that in another post.
 
Here's a little poem:
 
You said, then I said, then you said.
You got the final word though.
I fell down,
then I got up.
I grew my garden
The peppers were good that year.
I looked around,
I don't know where you went.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment