Friday, November 15, 2013

Artichokes, lentils and Hysteria

I have always loved artichokes, especially on pizza and in rissotos but I have never tried cooking them at home. 
I recently found fresh ones at the store and of course I had to buy them.

They looked very different to what is served at a restaurant.

I bought four of these but kept them in the fridge, having no idea how to prepare them.
Eventually I watched a couple of youtube videos and finally attempted cooking them.

Cleaning artichokes is a bit of a chore, you have to cut off all the inedible bits and at the end you are left with a very small piece of artichoke.  It is well worth the trouble, though.

Here is an easy to follow video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF78n_DvMWE

I boiled the clean artichokes in some salted water in which lemon juice and olive oil has been added.  It was delicious and looked like this:


I also made some soup using a mixture of lentils and barley:


Isn't that pretty?

I watched a very funny movie last week.  It is called Hysteria and is about the invention of the vibrator.  Maggie Gyllenhaal's character was charming and the movie was light hearted and entertaining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment